Saturday, June 12, 2010

Custom Inspiration Board: Lakeside Wedding

I was recently contacted to create a custom inspiration board for an budget-friendly, intimate wedding by the lake, and I'd love to share some of those ideas with you! The bride's colors were yellow, brown, and orange with a country feel and I loved finding DIY decor ideas to fit that theme.

{click to enlarge}

Resources: sodas, bouquet,mason jars, chalkboard sign, pennant flags, aisle decor,
sunflower centerpiece, couple on dock, cupcake tower

  • I used sunflowers combined with orange gerbera daisies in the floral arrangement since both translate well into silk flowers as an economical alternative to fresh flowers. (I've got some great ideas and inspiration for later this summer involving sunflowers!)
  • For aisle decor I used those flowers again arranged in terra cotta pots hung from crooks along the aisle. The bride already had a galvanized tub as part of her supplies, so to tie in that look, you could also use small metal pails for the arrangements.
  • For an outdoor venue I love mason jar lanterns, which add a natural, country glow and are both economical and easy to assemble. You can find an easy tutorial here. In the inspiration board I also included a pennant flag banner, which adds so much color and charm and is nearly as easy to create.
  • I included a chalkboard slate which is a fun idea for food labels, table numbers, directions to the ceremony, or whatever you like! They're inexpensive and so versatile.
  • To go easy on the budget, I suggested a cupcake stand over traditional wedding cake, which is actually a growing trend anyway. These cupcakes also happened to be in the bride's colors.
  • I included an image of colorful sodas in the galvanized tub, which is embellished with ribbon. Jones sodas, which are fairly inexpensive for a small guest list, are a fun addition to a summer reception and can be personalized here.
  • For favors, I suggested simple chocolate bars wrapped in matching scrapbook paper and a computer or hand-printed message.
There is just something so sweet and beautiful to me about a simple, intimate wedding when elaborate, expensive details are exchanged for comfort, good times, and celebrating with loved ones. After all, that's what it's really about!

On that note, be sure to check out this lovely Backyard Wedding featured on Once Wed! Though created for a summer wedding, these colors and ideas could also be great for a fall wedding!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails